As I have mention in my latest posts I began a capsule wardrobe. Some of my readers have asked what a capsule wardrobe is and what I did to start mine. So I wrote this post as a frequent questions page.
What is meant by capsule wardrobe?
In my opinion, a capsule wardrobe is a compilation or a basic collection of coordinated clothes that could be used in several combinations. Expert capsule wardrobers include jewels, handbags and shoes in the capsule wardrobe. In my case I do not include shoes as my feet need a constant rotation of shoes due to my illness but , for sure, the rest is included. On the other hand, Lounge clothes, intimates and sportswear usually are not included in the list.
The project is for a season, that is to say, there months but in my case as a trial I will do it only for a month. After this period, I will reconsider if it is worth or not to maintain it.
Why building a capsule wardrobe?
In my case because my closet was a chaos, because I needed to make my wardrobe simpler and because I realized I have spent a lot of money on clothes I do not wear.
What stages need to be followed before starting the project?
First be sure about what is your style, what clothes complement your body type and analyze what clothes do you own.
I analyzed my lifestyle and my body type to recognize which styles and pieces complement and suit me better.
How did I start to select the clothes to be kept in the capsule wardrobe?
- First, I put all my clothes and accessories on my bed or on a big table. I checked what I had, how much I liked the items, what condition they were on, how much I spent on each piece…
- Then I selected the clothes making four piles: Things I loved, they fit well and I usually wore them.
- Things I would like to keep maybe because they are in good condition or they are meaningful to me.
- Things I did not like and I would not wear but they are in good condition, so they can be donated or sold.
- Things to be thrown if they are in bad condition and cannot be reused.
- Afterwards, things that I donated were bagged and stored to be sent away as soon as possible. Things to be thrown were put in the trash.
- Finally, I purged the other two piles and I also had more clothes to donate.
What did I include in my capsule?
I realized I had a lot of pieces in pink so my selection was based on color, fit and weather conditions in September in Madrid. I usually wear dresses so I had 10 dresses, four light coats and jackets, 1 kimono, a black t-shirt and black jeans, 4 handbags, and some earrings and rings. Around 28 pieces.
I will analyze how would have been the experience at the beginning of October and I will let you know how was it.
Do you think capsule wardrobes are practical and useful? How did you build your own capsule wardrobe?
Love and blessings